Home » About Us » Vision & Core Principles
Vision & Core Principles
Steuben County will develop and sustain a diversified economy that promotes economic growth and innovation by embracing the ingenuity of employers, cultivating a highly-educated workforce, and maintaining a high quality of life valued by residents and visitors alike.
- Collaboration and Connectivity - industry, educators, economic development, workforce development, community leaders, and elected officials work together to promote economic growth. A seamless process is in place to inform and engage partners in business attraction efforts. Current employers are connected and able to collaborate to address workforce training and infrastructure/facilities needs supporting business retention.
- Culture of Innovation - resources are available to support entrepreneurial development and the commercialization of ideas. Knowledge of current capabilities of companies and opportunities for capitalizing on new technologies and industry targets. Digital infrastructure in place to support technological capabilities demanded by business.
- Work Ready Communities - each community is committed to demonstrating the availability of a qualified workforce. Targeted indicators track the number of certified 'work ready' employees with the basic skills and work ethics that employers seek.
- Sites Ready for Development - business parks and greenfield land sites have infrastructure requirements (i.e. roads, electric, gas, sewer/wastewater, water, high speed communication/broadband access) necessary for immediate development. Redevelopment is coordinated at the county and community level to promote the reuse of sites, properties, and brownfields.
- Work/Life Balance - quality of life is as important as the availability of high-wage employment opportunities. Recreational, entertainment, cultural, dining, and shopping amenities are diverse and abundant for use by residents and tourists. Lakes and parks are assets protected and maintained. Development projects must take into account sustainability and environmental considerations.
Download our 2013 Strategic Plan (PDF).